This Blog has moved to Facebook, please be my friend here: http://www.facebook.com/psmattpavel

And please like my Page here: http://www.facebook.com/pavelstudios

Thanks,

-Matt

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

How to Make Photos Larger on Blogger... Step by Step Instructions.

Recently I decided I wanted to have bigger photos on my blogger blog than what it would allow me by default. Up until this point I used the standard blogger upload which looks like this:

But even at the large setting the Images are still too small for my taste.

So there are many ways to accomplish this task but I thought I would share with you the way I found easiest. Feel free to post any comments on how you do it or ideas that would improve upon my method.

First of all, if you are going to put larger photos in your blog you need to make your blog wider to accommodate. In blogger, go into your "layout" tab and then the "Edit HTML" tab. You will need to change your "outer wrapper" width and "main wrapper" width to 1200px and 900px respectively. See the images for an easier explanation. (You can use different values if you wish, just make sure the outer is largest, and later that your image width is smaller than your main wrapper)

Make sure to hit "save changes" at the bottom of the page. Now the blog is wider and the changes will stay this way so you wont have to mess with the HTML after this.


------------------------------------------------------------


Now for the Images:

From now on instead of uploading your images into blogger, you will be uploading them to a third party instead... don't worry it's easy. In fact, I bet you didn't know it but that's what blogger does anyway! Now there are many sites out there like flickr, photobucket,smugmug,picasaweb, and more. But I am going to recommend picasaweb because that is where your blogger images are already residing:)

So sign up for one of these sites and upload your images there using a button similar to this:


Once you have a few images uploaded click on an image to make it large. In Picasaweb, you will find something that looks like this on the right side of the web page:


Make the selections I've shown you above and then highlight and copy the "imbed image" code. Then navigate back to Blogger and paste this code into your new post:


Hint: if you are using a site other than Picasaweb you might need to search around for the imbed code but I promise you it's there somewhere.

If you want to center the image on the page just add exactly what I have circled here to the front and the end of the code that you just pasted:



Publish the post and what do you know?....Large Photos....Yeah!




-------------------------------------------------------

Now for Professional photographers and more advanced users:
I found this in the picasaweb setting:

You are going to want to uncheck these boxes I have circled in red or you will be giving away your precious work.

Also, If you use Lightroom, check out Jeffrey Friedl's Blog. He has a plugin that will export from lightroom directly to picasaweb, zenfolio, smugmug, flickr, and facebook! Really cool stuff that saves a LOT of time...Plus it's free!

24 comments:

Pennerad said...

SCORE. THANK YOU! Excellent tutorial!! Will be trying this out immediately. And checking out your blog as well. I'm intrigued...

Unknown said...

Matt, you are an html god to me... ok, maybe just demi-god...
thank you so much!

Matt Pavel said...

I don't know if I would go that far;) I did take html in college but have since forgotten everything! So this site helps a bunch:Visit W3Schools!

Gabriella Burr said...

Hello Thanks so much for the advice, the images are turning out nice and large but how do i center them? thanks again.

Matt Pavel said...

Gabriella, I don't usually bother as it takes a little more time but here is how: actually, I'll amend the blog so just see above^

Enjoy,

Matt

Gabriella Burr said...

Oh I missed it earlier but found it! Thanks for your help. Sorry to bother but I had one more question is there a way to make the photos larger than 400 but not quite as large as 800. Thanks for all your help!

Gabriella Burr said...

Never mind figured it out, thanks again for the helpful advice!

Anonymous said...

Matt, great info I wish I new this when I had blogger.
Thanks anyway.

-TK- said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A said...

Hey Matt, GREAT TIP!!! I have been wondering how to enlarge my blog photos for a while! But I was wondering the same thing Gabriella Burr was (before retracting)? Is there a way to post photos larger than 400 but not quite as large as 800? Thanks!

Matt Pavel said...

Yes there is! When you are preparing the images for the web, save them at the size you prefer. For me that means telling Lightroom that I want my max image size to be say 651 pixels wide or tall. Or maybe you use photoshop to prepare the images then you would go to save for web, and set your longest side to 651px. Then when you export to Picasaweb, it will now have an option for actual size (651px). Hope that helps,

Matt

A said...

Thanks, Matt!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! You really helped me out with my blog

Irene said...

thank you so much!
that really worked!

Robby said...

Thank you so much!!!!! My photos look much better on my blog. I have to figure out how to do the header photo...but I am so happy!!!

Kelsey Steindler said...

It worked well for me, thank you, but now when Im on my blog and I click on an image, it takes me to my Picasa page. I just want it where you click on it and it's just the image. Do you know how to change that?

Matt Pavel said...

Kelsey, since the image is now showing up full size in your blog there should be little to no reason to have it show up again on a blank page after a cick. But you can remove the link by deleting it after you paste the code into your blog, that way you wont be able to click on it at all. I believe you could also make your picasa page private as well which would keep people from visiting.

Matt Pavel said...

Robby, Thanks for the link on your blog;)

heather said...

You can also do it in blogger by uploading your picture just like you used to and then click on "edit html" and change the settings on there. Change s400 to s800 and then find the picture width and height and double those numbers (the numbers end with px). For me this is easier than uploading them to a different site.

Anonymous said...

quite interesting article. I would love to follow you on twitter.

Shavon Via said...

Great post my photos are large awesome. How do you get the header to cover from left to right, as yours is showing. I have tried but it does not seem to cover correct.. Any help would be great. Thanks

Matt Pavel said...

just edit the hmtl code of the blog. look for:

#header-wrapper {
width:1230px;

and change that width to something slightly wider than your main photo:)

robin said...

Wonderful. Your tutorial worked amazing on my blogger.... until I just got back in from a couple months off. So, now Picasa does not have the "Link to photo" link to get the code to import into Blogger. I really dislike loading the photos from Blogger, it takes forever. Your way was working so great. Any suggestions for finging the code on Picasa now? Much thanks!
Robin

Matt Pavel said...

@Robin - You are probably not logged in.